The Kandy International Film Festival was started to contribute to the robust arts and cultural dialogue in Sri Lanka by addressing the absence of an international film festival in the country. The five-day celebration of global cinema will highlight work by filmmakers both emerging and well-established from around the world, bringing together artists, international directors, celebrities, and the movie-going public.
In addition to the screenings, the festival will include workshops with filmmakers, sponsor events at area businesses, concerts, and much more. Over 12,000 attendees are expected to attend, thereby stimulating the economy in Kandy, already a gateway for tourism and culture, as well as opening up new markets in Sri Lanka as a whole.
• Showcasing Sri Lankan film and highlighting Sri Lankan artists
• Providing access to independent films for local audiences and creating alternative means of engagement with Sri Lankan issues
• Promoting inter-cultural dialogue through branding KIFF as a multi-ethnic festival and engaging in outreach across all communities
• Inspiring the next generation of artists through student outreach programs and a youth focus
• Strengthening bridges between Sri Lankan and global artists through selecting global films and strengthening an international film community by providing a forum to convene and engage in discussions
• Raising Sri Lanka’s international profile and promoting its location and film production facilities
• Contributing to local tourism and revitalizing Kandy
• Creating new markets through the promotion of related businesses